"Life is like poker, Eventually you are dealt a new hand"

Monday, January 16, 2012

Spare change for the Homeless and baby news (Non Poker)

OK so I'll start off this blog by talking about giving to the homeless. I understand that they some how, put themselves in the rough spot that they are in. But, I also understand (or try to atleast) how hard it must be to be stuck in that situation and even harder not to dig yourself into a deeper hole rather than build a ladder (hypothetically speaking) to climb out of the hole. Last week I was filling up my gas tank and a man walked up to me and asked for a dime....."A dime?" I asked him. Thinking to myself, "What does this guy expect to do with a dime?" But then I quickly thought about it and realized that he didn't want to ask for a large amount and at that point ANYTHING would help. I have ran into this situation atleast 2 other times that I can remember in my life. And all three times I was definitely not rich, but atleast in a better situation than they were and felt the need to help them out in some way.

The first time it happened, I was living in Morgan City and just started working for Oceaneering Intl. in 2007 trying to make a name for myself and making just enough to pay the bills while bumming a room out of my cousin's trailer for $200 a month. I was in a crappy state of depression, never had money to actually enjoy myself and lived far enough away from my friends that I barely got any visitors. I went to Walmart for either groceries or what not. As I was leaving, There was this man standing near the exit of the highway in some ripped camouflage pants and a raggedy button up shirt in his late 50s - 60s. It just looked like he was on his last leg, exhausted sitting outside and his sign (Yes on a cardboard box) had good spelling and punctuation and was just asking for something to eat. I had a $5 left in my wallet, rolled down my window and stopped and handed it to him. His pure excitement and gratefulness of me giving him that just hit me. He was saying God bless you over and over with the biggest grin on his face. As I drove away, I was hit with tears running down my face. It was like That situation was put in my life to show me that no matter how hard I think that I have it, There is always someone out there that is going through a harder situation that I am and just made me even more thankful for what I did have even though at the time it was not much.
It just looked like he was on his last leg.

The next situation that I came across, I was going play the May events in 2009 for my first time and have been just playing the cash tables having decent success. I was driving from Destrehan where my father lives and making the journey back and forth each day (For 3-4 days). One of the days when I took the exit by Claiborne near the Superdome, There was this grungy looking young dude who didn't seem like he had a bath in a long time. I am sitting here with money in my pocket heading to risk it on a gamble when this guy is stuck begging outside and I can just feel his desperation. When I buy stuff with cash, I put my spare change in this Coin collector and when full it adds up to about $20 dollars. Well I have been adding change at the time over a course of a month and a half to 2 months and had near $15 bucks just random change. when I got right next to the guy, I rolled my window down half way and told him to put his hands out. He cupped his hands and I grabbed the thing and just dumped the whole thing into his hands and watched his eyes light up as coins started overflowing and falling to the ground out of his hands. Again he was overzealous and thanking me over and over. He was about as excited as I would be if say I won a huge pot at the poker table, if not more excited. I can't say that I know what these guys will do with the money but I do know that they were in desperate need for some help and I can just feel the pain they were going through. I try to put myself in other peoples shoes and know how hard it would be if I were in that situation.

Going back to last week, the guy asking for a dime. He was very polite, made sure he didn't get too close affecting my personal space and even though He probably lied about a bike that he rode, he did have a grungy cell phone that I guess the government apparently gives people now which kind of annoyed me but its whatever. I told him to let me finish pumping my gas and I can see what I can do because I didn't have any cash on me. Again, The coin collector thing was in my truck but all I had in it was about 6.75 in change. He said no problem and just waited patiently. I asked him to move away as I go in my truck and I'll give him some change. and he stepped back a few steps. I finished pumping the gas, opened my truck then grabbed the container. I told him here you go and dumped the Quarters, Nickels and Dimes into his hand and again. That big huge smile came out and he said AWW MAN THANKS GUY! GOD BLESS YOU! And I got in my truck and drove away as he just waved bye. Again, I am sure some how they put themselves in the situation they were in, but I also believe that everyone deserves the chance to get themselves out of it, but I can only do so much to help. I just got a great sense of happiness knowing that I had the ability to make someone's day just a little bit better even through the hardship they are going through at the time.

With the due date just 2 months away, We are getting more excited with the arrival of our little girl, but I am also getting fear built up cause I don't want to be shit deep in debt, but its starting to look that way. I think that is one of my biggest fears is the money situation, but like I posted above I just have to keep my head up and keep working hard to get through it. I guess I'm mostly afraid because I was never big on surprises and the unknown and this is definitely a big UNKNOWN. I just hope everything goes smoothly at the delivery and both the wife and the baby come out healthy. Unfortunately this will probably put a hold on my poker funds for a while as I try to adjust to this new life. But it will be hard as I am so passionate about poker and wont be able to put as much time as I would like (Based strictly off my income) hopefully I will be able to sell some action in some future events to help build my bankroll in some way. Registering for baby stuff was more enjoyable then registering for wedding stuff I guess cause I can imagine playing, holding, feeding (well maybe not feeding right away cause my nipples don't produce milk ;) haha) but I have been waiting for this moment my whole life (For as young of a life it is). I think this is the scariest time of my life even though it is such a big blessing, I am just afraid that I might screw up and want to do the best that I can. I know how bad I run not only in poker but in life in general and I don't want that to affect my little girl as well. I guess all I can say is I try my hardest...


I guess that's all for now.

Matt Stroud

1 comment:

  1. Matt, you will be an awesome father. That little girl will idolize you and love you forever. It is the most awesome thing and you will get through all the good times and bad. I promise. The bad times make you strong and make you appreciate the good. You know that already.

    I think God has touched your heart and opened your eyes and as long as you live a good life He will be right there with you helping you through it all. I am so very, very proud of you my love!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete