"Life is like poker, Eventually you are dealt a new hand"

Monday, January 9, 2012

Event One of the Southern Million Dollar Heater was Sick!

So I made the Journey Saturday to Biloxi, MS to take a shot at the 200k Gauranteed tournament. Feeling Confident and hoping for some run good to make a deep run. I learned that Day 1A already pretty much met the Gaurantee with 681 Entrants and they were expecting to crush it by Day 1B. Well they did, and then some. It doubled as another 772 players entered the next day and there were fish swimming everywhere at the tables hoping to get Lucky and enjoyed Gambling for fun.... so basically the typical players you love making money off of. That's if you are running well that is. And this weekend, was not one of those weekends for me one bit.

In the Tournament I lasted for 4 breaks and had the pleasure of some Laggro donk snapcalling my all in with K7 suited vs. my KJ in the SB and then flopping his flush draw and turning the flush to knock me out right before the Break and crush my hopes of making that deep run. I posted updates on my twitter Account @acadianapkrplyr so go follow me for future tournaments.

Well then shit got stupid. I talked myself into taking a stab at 1 2 5 plo that was running in the tournament room and sat with 320. I worked it up to $838 waiting for a poker buddy to finish his SNG. I was feeling super confident as these PLO players were just calling me down as I held the nuts or close to it each time I bet and I felted two different players who rebought in for more. Once my friend was done we went look for some supper and decided to eat at the HardRock since the line for the buffet was just painstakingly long and I felt the pits of my stomach rumbling in hunger. After we finished our supper I made the mistake of going to the restroom and be pleasured by the graceful sound of a man yakking in the Sink the whole time I was at the urinal almost losing it at one point and hoping I would finish soon so I could get the hell out of there. All I could here is HOOOOAAAARRRGHGBLBHFRAR, HUUAARGHGBALRRAAAH, Repeat 10x.
I tried to warn my buddy not to go in there because its no pretty sight or sound, but he insisted he had to go and even watched the guy after he finished his theatrics once he was done expelling his insides.

When we got back to the poker room he was starting to head home and I noticed they took my chips off the table and turned the 1-2-5 PLO into a 2-5-10 PLO game so I went searching for a 1-2 NL game and ended up losing a couple buy ins to basically put me back on square one of where I was at after I lost out of the Tournament. at about 1 AM I got with Mr. Bill Phillips of gulfcoastpoker.net and he let me crash in his room and we shot the shit about random topics before we were both exhausted and couldn't talk anymore.

When I headed towards the Cash tables the next morning I was searching for PLO mainly 1-2 but without any running, I put my name on 1-2 NL and 2-5 NL. They called my name for 2-5 and the beginning of being trolled by the Pokergods Began. Its like they were trying to get me to lose to either 3, 2, or 1 outs the rest of the day and it was just brutal. One of the main things I hate about the Beau Rivage cash games is there is no limit to what the players can buy in for, so if you don't have deep pockets you have next to no chance of being able to compete with taking the swings of poker. So if you start to run bad and take a tough beat, or 2 in a row for that matter, you are screwed and leave yourself shaking your head. First, I buy in for 350 and there is a straddle for 10 and myself along with 3 others see the flop which comes K86 and I have Kc9c goes check, bet 25, I raise to 75, fold, fold, Call from the guy who bet 25.
$195 in the pot and turn falls a 3 rainbow board. He checks, I bet $140 and he raises me basically putting me to a decision of all in or fold. So I shove and of course he turns over K3 for two pair and I don't catch up.
I rebuy in for $500 and about 5 hands later I have $480ish when a guy with about 1200 straddles for 10, I am on the button and look down at A10 os. Someone raises to $40, I flat along with 2 others and there is $160 in the pot. Flop falls A 10 5 and I have top 2. Straddle checks, another player checks, raisor pre bets $100, I opt to flat again with 2 others to act behind me, straddle guy calls and other player folds. There is now $460 in the pot and I have $340 left and the turn comes an ugly Kh. Asian guy bets $300 but I still think he has AQ or AJ and I shove all in. Well of course guy who straddled reraises over the top and gets the raiser to fold and shows QJ. I am just speechless, annoyed, and wondering why this dumb crap always happens to me. I go back regretting I didn't just open Jam the flop, but that is such a scared way to play it I didn't want to go that route.

Well I am fortunate enough to have both Ross Leitz and Blake B buy pieces of action for the $550 nooner which only had 156 runners and I was also gonna watch a bit of day 2 of the 200k gaurantee as I had a number of poker buddies still in and chasing the money. Well I show up late and quickly double up my stack but of course the trolling of the pokergods continued as this one guy just had my number. I first had to lay down top pair with QJ on a Q95 board where I raised pre bet flop and he raised me then on turn put me all in. Then about 2 revolutions later I'm UTG and limp with JJ and the same guy raises 1,100 with blinds at 100 200 25 ante. I have 9.8k and this bet just looks like a small to mid PP to me so I jam and he snap calls and shows AA.....FML I am out after about 3 hours in the $550.

My last shot at anything I was going to play a $100 SNG where first gets $550 and 2nd $350 and we all did a $20 last longer. Before I registered for the $550 Bill told me the SNGs have been really easy and I took his word for it. Well this was during event 1 of course and when I go sit down. Here comes Jerry Monroe that won the IP Biloxi WSOP Circuit main, a guy that cashed 6 out of 7 SNGs last night while I was playing cash, and Andy Moon, a very talented young grinder out of the Acadiana Area. Needless to say there was maybe 2 fish at the table and the rest were pretty solid players. I started out great doubling through one of the fish when he shoved a pair of Aces no kicker on a AK10 board (I had K10) and knocked him out. Then I won a nice pot with AA and in no time had 5700 as the starting stack was 2000. I get AA once again when my stack is at 4600 and there is a raise to 450, then a reraise to 1100 by Monroe. I chose to flat as I put him on KK, QQ, JJ and know he will pay me off with the right flop so no need to rush it pre. A guy behind me with like 400 left throws his chips in there and the original raiser folds. Flop comes QJ5 and Monroe shoves and I snap call and show AA, he sighs and shows KK and turn is the 8, river 6...baby stack had 6 5 and triples up. This will come back to haunt me but I now have 8400ish. Instead of just going walk away and eating Lunch or something I choose to continue to play like a dumbass. What happens?? well I guess the Pokergods find out how good I'm running and decide to show up and start trolling again. the 2nd largest stack decided he was going to start reraising me every time I raised. So when I looked at AJos and raise my standard 425 with blinds at 100 200 and he did his standard reraise to 775, I reraised to 2000 and he shoved and I snapped called, He showed KJ os and dont worry flop comes Jd8d5d neither of us have a diamond. Turn is a blank, Im almost clear, then here it comes Kd on river to rob me of what I deserve and blasts my stack down to 3500. I lose another pot and get down to 2650 and another gets knocked out so there is 5 left and I have 2nd smallest stack. I shove first hand and collect blinds. next hand I'm UTG+2 and look at 1010 and shove again, guy who cracked me with KJ shoves all in, then SB shoves all in. The Button shows KK and the SB shows AK and I ask the dealer for the 10 to save my ass. Right in the window the 10 rears its ugly head!! I'm saved and looking like I will be able to get this thing again. Until the Case freaking K hits the turn and laughs in my face and says...yea right dude, get the hell out of Biloxi.

Yet again, I am down to $0 thanks to running like absolute dogshit at the worst times. Looks like its back to the drawing board as my New Years Goal of $5000 profit is now in the back burners as I start the year out in the negatives.....awesome.

GL to the rest of you.
Matt Stroud

No comments:

Post a Comment