"Life is like poker, Eventually you are dealt a new hand"

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Weekend Poker rundown

The Usual suspects of APP
Friday night was our APP league game. 2nd to last NL holdem and 3rd to last game of the season for points. The Championship Freeroll for the top 9 players is towards the end of September and there is a very close race from the players that are in the 6-13 spots. It will be a very exciting last 2 games and I also bought the Trophy which isnt huge but I really like it and is a great conversation piece. Last year I got a plaque but decided to go with the trophy for this year because I think they just look better overall and was about the same price for what I thought was a better product. As far as my play friday night I was not focused at all and pretty much going through the motions. I was tired from work, was still in rush mode for setting up the game, and The Saints first preseason game was on so I was kinda peeping my eyes on that as well. I made a horrible read on an opponent (well I put him on mid PP and was right about that, just not about the strength from the flop) I was holding Q 9 suited in late position and flop came 9 6 2. The bb who is a pretty LAG player bets into the pot and middle pos opponent reraised. I put the mid opp on PP 88 77 etc. and the bb player on straight draw. So thinking Im ahead I shove all in and bb folds. Middle Pos opponent goes in the tank, says something about 36% for a flush draw then flips over top set and calls. I was like wow, didnt put you on that at all and was wondering why he didnt insta-call lol.


Well we set up a cash game 0.25 0.50 NL holdem, I wanted to do half n half but 2 players declined. Everyone bought in for 30-40 and the grind began. I Won a decent pot, then picked a spot where I had middle pair and open ended straight draw. I bet it hard when the straight card came and almost took down the pot but someone just called a 6x bet pre-flop with 6 5 off and turned the low end of the straight. He was about to fold thinking I had the High end but ended up calling and took a hefty chunk of my chips. That's how most of the night went for me. Either picked bad spots and lost pots, won some pots with decent hands, then busted when people caught on me etc.

One hand a player considered was a "Bad play by both players" which was my last hand of the night I was just exhausted, annoyed and overall done after this. I straddled for $1 with $20 behind and the LAG player was in the bb for .50 and he was in the hole for the game but had about $65-70. there were 3 or 4 limpers and LAG bb raises to 5.25. There is 9.25-10.00 in the pot and I have 98 off. I know he is raising with a speculative hand here and figured I can get him off of it by coming over the top. but I didn't have enough to raise a portion of my stack so it was either all in or fold. I opted to go all in for 21.00 total and everyone folded and LAG player goes in the tank. Then a player out of the hand says "OK 2 of you HAVE to put each other on a hand first" I should have just stayed quiet not saying anything but like a dumb ass I chose to play along and put him on KQ or something to that range (A10, KJ, A9s) Since I said that he put me on 88 and gave some goofy logic saying "well I'm behind, I'm down some money and playing catch up, its virtually a coin-flip so I call"...lol
Flop comes out 9s 6d 5h and I have the lead but he still has 2 overs as he shows As 10s and I say give me the 7 just to cushion my lead more.
Turn is the 6s giving him more outs with the flush draw. And I ask again, Give me the damn 7....
River 8s giving me 2 pair but him the flush...and that's how I roll (Rolls eyes)

I just kinda laughed got up, LAG goes into justifying his play and saying it wasn't a bad call, I say yes it was, then Superstar says Y'all both made bad plays and the discussion ensued how I disagreed. You can base an argument on strategy, but when you incorporate results with strategy your logic is flawed. The thing I messed up on was playing into the game by putting him on a range when I should have just sat quietly and waited for him to act. But it wasn't a bad play at all in my opinion.

The next night we played Half NL holdem Half PL Omaha and my friends house in Carencro.
It was 4 of us from last night and 3 new faces I haven't played before. I was spot on with my reads in Omaha but early on picked a couple bad spots in Holdem, made some adjustments and played solid poker after that. I ended up profiting $35 for the night as I let someone borrow $20 of my stack and also cashed out $100. I was in the game for $85 and thought I played pretty well for the most part. I had an interesting Omaha hand Where the friend that was hosting was to my direct right all night and raised preflop to 1.50 I called along with 2 others making it 6 in the pot. flop came 989 and I told him I am only calling cause I like half my hand. Q9 suited 7 2 off, I was in the bb for .50 and needed to call 1.00 more into a pot that was already 3.00 so i figured why not. When I saw the flop i liked what I saw and they did have a possible flush draw as well so he bet 3.00 into a 6.00 pot and I raised pot immediately to get everyone else off their hand. He went into the tank for about 2 minutes then said Pot to me. I start to think about it and the Trip 9s is all I have, it was very possible for him to have A high flush draw with his trips or even flopped a boat with 88 and just didn't like it as I would have to call about 25-30 so i made the lay down and he showed 98 for the boat.

There was another hand where I had A4A8 double suited and hit the flop pretty hard with an inside straight draw and flush draw and guy who went all in asked to go once or twice, so I initially put him on flush draw and said once. He shows TOP SET 99 with no redraw so I need to hit my flush or one of the last 2 aces in the deck. I missed the turn. Then BOINK the Ace on the river!! I also made an interesting play against a player who had AA and not much of a redraw on a 10 4 7 board I was holding a back door flush draw and inside straight draw with top pair. We opted to run it twice as he was ahead statistically but slightly. First I hit the 10 on the turn for trips to take the pot. The next one I hit my runner runner flush! It was gross.

I have to say the best hand of the night goes to Mr.LAG though Beau Brewer. He made a spectacular play on my friend who was hosting in Texas Holdem with a J 8 6 board. There was a raise preflop by Beau and host called. Beau checked on the flop and host bet 2.75 into $4 pot Beau raised to $6. The host went in the tank then 3bet to $20 (when he does this I expect him to win the pot almost 80% of the time if not more because he plays a very solid game). Beau must have had either picked up a tell or had a dead on read on his opponent because without even thinking he announce all in and had the host well covered. I believe the host had about $40-50 behind and Beau had $80-100 after the $20 was in the pot. I was thinking to myself this guy has a monster to snap shove like this and I guess the host was thinking the same thing as he folded but didn't show (I put him on top pair, maybe KJ or AJ but not strong enough to feel confident calling all in). Then Beau turns over 9 8 off for 2nd pair on the biggest bluff of the night!

Pretty much my face after seeing the 9 8 off with a 4bet shove all in
I was literally left speechless after this as it was just a top of the line play and we were playing .25 .50 haha. We kept on giving him shit like where the hell did that come from etc., but some nights He is dead on and playing spectacular poker maximizing his profits consistently while other nights he is completely off his game and struggling to keep a composed head. Once this guy becomes more consistent though, he will definitely be a force to be reckoned with. He finished the game up $240 and I profited a small amount but was down the previous night so it felt like I broke even. the host also broke even for the night as most of the other players all ended up in the negatives.  I plan on playing half n half at least once or twice before I go to Biloxi, MS for the GCPC but so far I am really confident in my Omaha game. I just have to make sure I play solid poker and not get involved in pots I don't need to be involved in for holdem.

That was my weekend in a nutshell, hope you enjoyed the read.

Good Luck,
Matt Stroud

No comments:

Post a Comment